Winnipeg to spray last untreated areas for mosquitoes Tuesday night
WINNIPEG – Crews will spray the last untreated areas of Winnipeg for mosquitoes on Tuesday night, weather permitting.
Northwest Winnipeg, including the airport, Crestview, Silver Heights, Bruce Park, Brooklands, Sargent Park and the downtown area south of Portage, from Wolseley to The Forks, will be sprayed overnight. Assiniboine Park will receive a second treatment.
The average trap count across the city was 23 on Tuesday, but the adulticiding factor analysis level – the tool the city uses to determine whether spraying pesticides is necessary – remained high. The highest trap count was in Assiniboine Park, where 208 mosquitoes were found.
The following insect management areas will be sprayed between 9:30 p.m. Tuesday and 6:30 a.m. Wednesday, weather permitting:
- 28 – Assiniboine Park
- 34 – Assiniboia Downs, Buchanan, Kirkfield, Glendale, Westwood
- 35 – Crestview, Heritage Park, Saskatchewan North, Sturgeon Creek
- 36 – Birchwood, Booth, Jameswood, Murray Industrial Park, Silver Heights, Woodhaven
- 37 – Richardson International Airport
- 38 – Bruce Park, Deer Lodge, King Edward
- 39 – Brooklands, Sargent Park, St. James Industrial
- 41 – Armstrong Point, Broadway – Assiniboine, Legislature, Portage and Main, South Portage, The Forks, West Broadway, Wolseley
Fogging isn’t done when the temperature drops below 13 C or wind speeds are too high.
Pro malathion ULV will be sprayed and buffer zones will be respected, the city said in a notification from the insect control branch.
To register for a buffer zone, which means trucks won’t spray within 90 metres of your primary residence, apply:
- in writing to the insect control branch, 3 Grey St., Winnipeg R2L 1V2;
- by emailing email@example.com or fax 311; or
- in person at 1539 Waverley St.
© Shaw Media, 2014