Ex-boyfriend’s murder trial cancelled after charges stayed
WINNIPEG — A Winnipegger accused of hiring another man to murder his girlfriend in a brazen daylight attack will not be going to trial.
Justice officials have confirmed first-degree murder charges against Drake Moslenko were stayed Tuesday.
Kaila Tran, 26, was stabbed to death outside her St. Vital apartment in 2012.
Moslenko, 28, had been accused of hiring Treyvonne Willis to carry out the killing on Clayton Drive.
Tran was on her way to work when she was attacked in the building’s parking lot as she approached her car.
At the time police said the couple had been dating for several years but had reportedly split up just before her death.
No explanation was given for the stay in proceedings on Tuesday.
“It’s sickening. I know a lot of people are angry and feel that justice wasn’t served,” said Hannah Rose Pratt, a friend of Tran.
The first-degree murder trial against Willis will go ahead.
© Shaw Media, 2014