A Peterborough man is facing an impaired driving charge and other driving infractions after an incident early Monday morning.
According to the Peterborough Police Service, around 3 a.m., an officer on patrol in the area of George and King Streets was “cut off” by a vehicle that had spun its tires and swerved out of the parking lane.
Police say the vehicle fled and failed to stop for a red traffic light. The officer initiated a traffic stop and the officer eventually determined the driver was under the influence of alcohol.
Eldho Nediyalil, 23, of Peterborough was arrested and charged with impaired driving (blood-alcohol concentration 80-plus) along with the following Highway Traffic Act charges:
- Driving a motor vehicle without a licence
- Red light – failure to stop
- Novice driver – blood-alcohol concentration above zero
- Possess more than one licence
- Colour coating obscuring interior of a vehicle
- Driving a motor vehicle – perform stunt – cause tire to lose traction
- Driving a motor vehicle without validation on a licence plate
- Start from stopped position – not in safety
He was released on an appearance notice and is scheduled to appear in court in Peterborough on Sept. 15.