Advertisement

Inadequate ventilation likely caused carbon monoxide incident that sent 46 to Winnipeg hospitals

Click to play video: 'Cause of carbon monoxide leak at Winnipeg hotel identified'
Cause of carbon monoxide leak at Winnipeg hotel identified
The cause of the carbon monoxide leak that sent 46 people to hospital has been identified as a build up of CO because of inadequate ventilation of gas-fired appliances, according to Manitoba Hydro – Jul 10, 2019

The cause of a carbon monoxide leak that sent nearly four dozen people to Winnipeg hospitals was likely due to inadequate ventilation.

Forty-six people were taken to hospital Tuesday morning after a carbon monoxide leak at the Super 8 hotel on Portage Avenue. Fifty-two were evacuated from the hotel, along with one dog.

WATCH: Winnipeg Fire Paramedic chief provides timeline on hotel carbon monoxide leak response

Click to play video: 'Winnipeg Fire chief provides timeline on hotel carbon monoxide leak response'
Winnipeg Fire chief provides timeline on hotel carbon monoxide leak response

Fifteen of those people were considered to be in critical condition due to the levels of carbon monoxide in their systems, said Fire Chief John Lane.

Story continues below advertisement

READ MORE: 46 people taken to hospital after carbon monoxide leak at Winnipeg hotel

Read next: Cineplex CEO says company is open to ‘experiments’ with cheaper tickets

“None of the patients were requiring resuscitation, none were intubated …. [but] their carbon monoxide levels were such that they were in the critical category,” said Lane.

The investigation is still ongoing, said Chuck Steele of Manitoba Hydro, but he said the cause of the build up of carbon monoxide appears to be inadequate ventilation of the hotel’s gas-powered appliances.

In a statement Super 8 says it will cooperate fully with the investigation.

As of Wednesday morning, no one was left waiting in hospital.

The hotel last passed inspection in 2017, and was due for another inspection in 2020. The carbon monoxide alarm in the hotel’s boiler room went off, said Lane, and the alert was sent to the hotel’s alarm company, which called in emergency personnel.

Lane said Wednesday that the WFPS responded to 708 carbon monoxide incidents in 2018, but no one was seriously hurt.

 

Customers should have no concerns about staying at the hotel, said Steele.

Story continues below advertisement

“Yes, it is safe to be staying there,” he said, but added the gas to the hotel remains off.

WATCH: Family set to stay at Winnipeg hotel that experienced carbon monoxide leak say they were not notified

Click to play video: 'Family set to stay at Winnipeg hotel that experienced carbon monoxide leak say they were not notified'
Family set to stay at Winnipeg hotel that experienced carbon monoxide leak say they were not notified

On Tuesday, one couple said they weren’t told by the hotel before they got there about the emergency.

“I’m kind of thinking that they would sort of, want to… give a heads up, sort of thing,” they said.

WATCH: Winnipeg Fire chief warns of the dangers of carbon monoxide leaks

Click to play video: 'Winnipeg Fire chief warns of the dangers of carbon monoxide leaks'
Winnipeg Fire chief warns of the dangers of carbon monoxide leaks

Sponsored content