Hamilton is no longer among the top five rattiest cities in Ontario.
The third annual “Rattiest Cities” list has just been released by Orkin Canada, which places Hamilton seventh for the number of rat and mice “treatments” the pest control company administered at residential and commercial locations in 2018.
Last year, Hamilton came in at No. 5.
WATCH BELOW: Fat rat saved by German animal rescue crew after getting stuck
For 2018, the top five rattiest cities were: Toronto, Mississauga, Scarborough, Ottawa and Sudbury.
For more details, click here.
READ MORE: Rat complaints continue to surge in Hamilton
Rodent Prevention Tips
- Trim the Trees: Landscaping can be a big-rodent attractant. Keep shrubbery cut back at least one metre from the exterior walls of your home to eliminate any hiding spots for rodents and to avoid giving them a “jumping off” point.
- Cut Off the Water: Eliminate any moisture sources necessary for pests’ survival, such as clogged gutters or water gathering in trash or recycling bins.
- Inspect both inside and outside your property for rodent droppings, burrows and rub marks along baseboards and walls. The more quickly rodents are detected, the better.
- Close the Gap: Look for possible entry points outside the home, seal all cracks larger than 0.25 inches and install weather strips at the bottom of exterior doors.
- Keep your property clean, inside and out. Clean up crumbs and spills as soon as they happen to avoid leaving food residue or sugary substances that can attract rodents. Store all food (including pet food) in tightly-sealed containers like plastic bins, and never leave food or dishes sitting out overnight.