4-alarm blaze ‘under control’ at popular eatery on Danforth Ave.

Fire crews battle a four-alarm blaze at a two-story building on Danforth Avenue on Jan. 22, 2019.
Fire crews battle a four-alarm blaze at a two-story building on Danforth Avenue on Jan. 22, 2019. Gord Edick/Global News

A four-alarm blaze at a staple restaurant in Toronto’s east end early Tuesday is now “under control,” a Toronto Fire Division commander says.

Toronto fire officials said they responded to a call around 6:46 a.m. on Danforth Avenue between Chester and Arundel avenues at the Detroit Eatery.

Division Cmdr. Greg Weeks said fire crews were able to finally get an “upperhand” on the fire which started in the basement. He said crews are now in the process of looking for hotspots and pumping water out of the building.

The “stubborn” fire was originally declared a two-alarm, but was escalated to a four-alarm shortly after 9 a.m. The fire was officially under control as of 10:45 a.m.

READ MORE: Fire guts property under construction at Oakwoods Ave. and Rogers Rd.

Story continues below advertisement

The building is a mixed-use structure with the Detroit Eatery on the bottom and a residential unit on the top.

“For many in the community Detroit Eatery has a special place in our lives. Many have been eating and socializing here for years, their children have grown up eating here; it’s been a staple of our community through generations,” an Instagram post from the Danforth BIA said.

“Our hearts go out to you and we wish you strength as you build up again.”

“The fire, I understand, was at the Detroit Eater, whihc is a place many of us have gone to over the years for a very hearty breakfast,” Mayor John Tory said at an unrelated press conference. “It’s always sad entrepreneurs like this have these fire take place on their premises because often, it’s very difficult to recover, notwithstanding insurance.”

Tory also took the time to thank the firefighters involved.

Weeks said there is no fire damage to the adjacent units, which includes a popular bridal shop, but they most likely suffered smoke and water damage.

No injuries were reported.

The investigation is ongoing but Weeks said at this time, the fire does not appear to be suspicious.

Story continues below advertisement

A GoFundMe page has been set up to support the owners of the establishment.