December 13, 2018 7:31 pm
Updated: December 13, 2018 8:17 pm

Moncton fire crews save house after blaze involving Christmas lights

Thu, Dec 13: Fire officials are reminding everyone to think about safety this holiday season, after a blazed was sparked by a faulty extension cord inside a Moncton home. Callum Smith reports.

A A

A Moncton woman was left shaken but uninjured after she tried to put out a fire inside her home Thursday morning.

Anita Louise LeBlanc was plugging in Christmas lights in the stairwell of her home when a fire started.

“The wire was on fire, and it just ran right along the whole ledge,” she said.

Most of the structural damage to LeBlanc’s home appeared to be in the stairwell, but crews will take a few days to clean up the mess from smoke and soot.

Callum Smith / Global News

READ MORE: Battery fires: The potential danger hiding in your kitchen junk drawer

LeBlanc tried to keep it under control while the fire was small but knew she couldn’t do it alone.

“After the third jug of water, I had to call,” she said. “I realized it was a losing job because it was getting so far ahead of me, and then it was starting to drop off into the stairwell.”

“It was a faulty power cord that basically caused the issue,” says Charles LeBlanc, who is the division chief for Moncton’s fire prevention and investigation unit.

Charles LeBlanc, who is the division chief for Moncton’s fire prevention and investigation unit, says crews were able to quickly put out the fire

Callum Smith / Global News

WATCH: N.B. fire officials plead for volunteer after shortage sparks safety concerns


Story continues below

The stairwell is where the majority of the damage is, although restoration crews will be cleaning out the house as a result of the smoke and soot that spread throughout the building.

Moncton Fire Department says there are some tips people can follow to stay safe during the holiday season.

“Take a look at (decorations). Make sure that everything looks all good, that there’s nothing frayed,” said Charles. “We’d strongly suggest that people don’t use power bars (and) always look at their extension cords to make sure all their equipment is working.”

READ MORE: Woman found dead in Moncton townhouse fire

After making sure they’re usable, people are asked not to leave decorations on overnight or if they’re leaving their home.

Charles says it’s also important to keep Christmas trees watered so they don’t dry up, leading to risk of fire.

“They should be basically watered like a plant,” he says. “(It’s) very, very important they stay that way,” he added.

As for LeBlanc, she’s hoping others can learn from what happened to her and stay safe when decorating this season.

“Check everything well before you put it up,” says LeBlanc.

“I know; I’ve learned my lesson.”

© 2018 Global News, a division of Corus Entertainment Inc.

Report an error

Comments

Want to discuss? Please read our Commenting Policy first.