Several people were forced out of their homes by a fire at around 3:20 a.m. Thursday.
Firefighters arrived to find heavy smoke billowing out of the back of a small apartment building on 86 Street, just south of 118 Avenue.
“Crews were close by and were quick to get inside and get after it,” district chief Leonard Mushtuk said. Edmonton Fire Rescue Services said the fire was under control by 3:47 a.m.
Resident Danny Weson said his dog, Juicy Bear, woke him up.
“She just kinda nudged me and woke me up,” he explained. “I was like, ‘Oh, is it bathroom time or what?’ and then the alarms started going off so I was like, ‘Sweet, good instincts buddy.'”
They got out safely, and Edmonton transit buses were brought in to keep residents warm.
Officials said the fire started in the living room and was caused by smoking material.
The property sustained about $500,000 in damage and the content damage is estimated at $120,000.
Fire officials said one occupant escaped and was later taken to hospital by EMS.