September 19, 2017 7:18 pm
Updated: September 20, 2017 8:34 am

Meet the New Brunswick family that got stuck in a Moncton UPS store overnight

Denise Steeves and her four-year-old son were stuck in a UPS store in Moncton, N.B.

Jason Steeves

Two people, one of whom was a four-year-old boy, spent nearly three hours locked in a UPS store in Moncton, N.B. before the store owner, a UPS manager, RCMP officers and a locksmith were able to get them out.

Jason Steeves says his son Silas and his wife Denise are all right but were a little shaken up after their ordeal.

“(My wife) jokingly signalled S.O.S .on the store’s illuminated sign,” Steeves told Global News through a Facebook conversation.

READ MORE: N.L. police seek man who hid chicken in his pants, then ‘flew the coop’

Steeves, Denise and Silas had gone to the store after hours to retrieve mail just after 8:30 p.m.

“We have a key to access the mailboxes after hours,” he said. “My 4-year-old likes to go in with (his mom).”

However, once the pair entered the Main St. location, the door locked itself behind them, leaving the pair unable to get out.

A late-night mail run turned into a nightmare for one family in New Brunswick

Jason Steeves

Steeves and the pair tried to force the door open but it wouldn’t budge. He then called the police for help.

“I told them I would break a window if we didn’t get help,” Steeves wrote. “My son was crying at me through the window a few times.”

The worried father even attempted to contact UPS over their Facebook page to get assistance. Representatives from the companies offices in Salt Lake City and Georgia contacted him but weren’t able to help them.

WATCH: British man sent home for wearing shorts to office in heat wave returns in a bright, pink dress

The family was on its own until police arrived shortly after 10 p.m., they were able to get in contact with the manager who didn’t have a key that would unlock the door.

An officer tried to get in contact with the store’s owner but had no luck.

“The RCMP officer said he would break the window with his baton as a last resort,” wrote Steeves.

A locksmith was eventually called to the scene but that too was unsuccessful.

A locksmith and RCMP officers attempt to gain entrance to the UPS store.

Jason Steeves

The internal mechanism of the lock was broken forcing the RCMP to attempt to find the owner and wake him up.

“They went to (the owner’s) house and banged on the doors rather loudly,” he said. “He and his wife were asleep and their cell phone was charging.”

The owner returned to the store and was able to get in through another entrance.

The owner was forced to disable an alarm and open a metal gate to let the family out.

© 2017 Global News, a division of Corus Entertainment Inc.

Report an error


Want to discuss? Please read our Commenting Policy first.

Global News