September 12, 2017 12:28 pm
Updated: September 12, 2017 1:20 pm

Donation of combo smoke/carbon monoxide alarms will save lives: Otonabee fire chief

Enbridge partners with local township to deliver smoke/carbon monoxide alarms to residents.

The Township of Otonabee South Monaghan
A A

Otonabee-South Monaghan Department of Fire and Emergency Services is a step closer to helping residents of the township avoid serious residential fire loss, after Enbridge Gas Distribution donated 120 combination smoke and carbon monoxide alarms.

The alarms were provided through a public education campaign that is providing a total of 3,330 alarms to residents in 15 Ontario municipalities.

READ MORE: Alarmed and Ready campaign focuses on fire safety among post-secondary students

“We have proof that prevention saves lives. Knowing this, we remain committed to educating our customers about the importance of installing a combination smoke and carbon monoxide alarm, as well as properly maintaining fuel-burning equipment,” said Jamie Niblett of Enbridge Gas Distribution.

Don Armitage, Enbridge presents OSM Reeve Dave Nelson with a combination smoke/carbon monoxide alarm during the event at the OSM Fire Hall Sept. 11.

Township of Otonabee South Monaghan

Story continues below

When properly installed and maintained, combination smoke and carbon monoxide alarms help provide the early warning that is needed to safely escape from a house fire or carbon monoxide exposure, states a media release issued by the township.

 

READ MORE: What you should know about carbon monoxide poisoning

According to the head of emergency management for the Ontario Fire Marshal’s office, Ontarians must be educated to do whatever they can to protect themselves and their families against fire and carbon monoxide dangers. While fire prevention has been well publicized, resident also need to be aware of the dangers of carbon monoxide.

“By installing carbon monoxide alarms in the home, on every level and adjacent to sleeping areas, residents can help prevent needless tragedies. Project Zero is an invaluable program that helps fire departments educate residents in their community about carbon monoxide alarms,”  said Ross Nichols.

The Otonabee-South Monaghan Department of Fire and Emergency Services received 120 combination smoke and carbon monoxide alarms through Project Zero.

Cara Wood/Otonabee-South Monaghan

Nichols explains carbon monoxide is a toxic, odourless gas that is a byproduct of incomplete combustion of many types of common fuels.

Otonabee South Monaghan Fire Chief Ted Bryan sees first-hand the devastation of house fires and carbon monoxide dangers.

“This project will allow us to target areas of potential high risk and vulnerable population within our community making a significant contribution to a higher level of protection to those in need,” he said.

This year, Enbridge invested $100,000 in the project, and since 2009, 85 Ontario communities have taken part in Project Zero.

© 2017 Global News, a division of Corus Entertainment Inc.

Report an error

Comments

Want to discuss? Please read our Commenting Policy first.