October 14, 2016 6:27 pm
Updated: October 14, 2016 11:35 pm

Driver charged in 2014 Coquitlam hit-and-run in court for sentencing

A man whose life has been devastated by a hit-and-run accident will have to wait a little while longer for justice. Kristen Robinson reports.

A A

The 28-year-old man charged in connection with a serious hit-and-run accident in Coquitlam in July 2014 is expected to receive his sentence this afternoon.

Sean William McAllister was charged in October 2015 with failure to remain on scene, impaired driving causing bodily harm and dangerous driving causing bodily harm.

Story continues below

On July 30, 2014, Bruce Rickman was hit by a vehicle around midnight at the Mary Hill Bypass and Kingsway in Port Coquitlam. Rickman, a bus driver, had been riding home after his shift eastbound on the shoulder of the road when he was allegedly struck from behind by a large vehicle.

The driver then fled the scene and Rickman was rushed to Royal Columbian Hospital with serious injuries.

WATCH: Coquitlam RCMP hold an emotional news conference with the victim’s family

McAllister eventually came forward and identified himself as the driver.

Rickman’s wife, Twyla, said her husband sustained catastrophic and life-changing injuries and used to be an active outdoorsman but now has trouble walking around the house.

Twyla told Global News she is planning on reading a victim impact statement and the Crown will be reading Rickman’s statement in court today.

WATCH:  Rickman family makes appeal to driver to come forward in July 2014

Report an error

Comments

Comments closed.

Due to the sensitive and/or legal subject matter of some of the content on globalnews.ca, we reserve the ability to disable comments from time to time.

Please see our Commenting Policy for more.