Despite growing opposition, a Calgary homebuilder’s plans to redevelop the shuttered Harvest Hills golf course have cleared a major hurdle.
On Monday, councillors voted 9-5 in favour of re-designating the land, which had been zoned as recreational. They also voted 11-3 in favour of amending the Area Structure Plan.
The decisions clear the way for Cedarglen Homes to build a series of condominiums, townhomes and single-family homes on the nine-hole course, which closed earlier this year.
Area residents have voiced strong opposition over the proposed 716-unit development since Cedarglen Homes purchased the golf course in 2014. Many worry the changes will impact their property values, increase traffic and put a strain on area infrastructure.
“There’s a lot of people that are emotionally charged about this. I would be too if I had spent my life savings on a home that backed on to a golf course and then I wake up some morning and read the paper and it says there’s going to be houses built there. I’d be upset too,” Ward 3 Councillor Jim Stevenson told Global News on the weekend.
© 2016 Global News, a division of Corus Entertainment Inc.