Hundreds of people were forced from a downtown Calgary apartment building on Thursday after a fire broke out in the generator room.
Firefighters were called to the Westview Heights complex in the 800 block of 8 Avenue S.W. just after midnight.
According to the Calgary Fire Department, the fire started when oil from a power generator began to burn. Smoke then spread through the building’s ventilation system.
In total, 240 people were forced to leave the building.
Firefighters allowed residents back inside the complex at about 1:30 a.m. once the smoke had cleared and the building was deemed safe.