It’s the “ghost pepper challenge” gone wrong. Really wrong.
In a video that has recently gone viral, racking up millions of views, the person behind the camera can be heard saying:
“Ghost pepper challenge! He’s not actually going to eat it but…”
It could be said that those were the infamous last words before the boy in the video swallowed a slice of a ghost pepper, also known as bhut jolokia and considered to be one of the hottest peppers in the world.
He innocently puts the sliver into his mouth as someone off camera warns, “Don’t swallow it!”
Seemingly afraid to chew, the boy swallows the fiery pepper, named after the way the heat sneaks up on a person.
In a desperate attempt to find refuge from the burning sensation, the boy jumps, cries and douses his mouth with tap water.
“It’s hot! It’s hot!” he screams.
It was no doubt painful to swallow a pepper that scores 1,041,427 on the Scoville Scale – a hundred times hotter than an average jalapeno pepper.
But there is one man who has made the record books for eating more than 13 whole peppers in one sitting. American Jason McNabb consumed 66 grams of the pepper in two minutes.
It’s reported that the ghost pepper is so hot it can burn your skin with just a touch.
We absolutely do not suggest you try the ghost pepper challenge at home.