EDMONTON – An emergency alert is no longer in place for a portion of northwestern Alberta, which was affected by widespread power outages following an overnight wind storm.
Originally, it was said that the power could be out for an extended amount of time in the Saddle Hills County area, possibly even several days. But crews managed to restore power to a majority of the area by Thursday morning, prompting the emergency alert to be lifted just before 9 a.m.
Any remaining areas still without power should reportedly see service by the end of the day.
Brian Ballard, Saddle Hills County’s manager of protective services, told Global News on Wednesday that he had reports of several areas where poles had been snapped off, and lines that were down, including several transmission lines.
Anyone still without power who requires help is asked to call the Saddle Hills County office at (780) 864-3760.
Those who are in their homes without power are advised to:
– Use water sparingly
– Stay hydrated and warm
– Use only certified indoor heat sources (No barbecues, fuel-fired heating devices indoors)
– Generators must be outside