March 19, 2017 12:15 pm
Updated: March 19, 2017 4:10 pm

62-year-old man dead after hit-and-run downtown Toronto

Toronto Police at the scene where a pedestrian was struck in downtown Toronto. Jerome Gange / GlobalNews

Jerome Gange / Global News
A A

A 62-year-old man is dead after being struck by a vehicle downtown Toronto Saturday night.

Toronto Paramedics said several calls came in around  7:30 p.m. about a pedestrian struck at Jarvis Street and Gloucester Street.

Toronto police said the driver of the vehicle left the scene but came back a short time later. It is, however, still being considered a hit-and-run.

When officers and paramedics arrived on scene, the pedestrian’s vital signs were absent.

He was rushed to hospital via emergency run with life-threatening injuries, where he later died, according to police.

Const. Allyson Douglas-Cook, spokesperson for the Toronto Police Service, told Global News the man had been crossing the street but not at an intersection, when he collapsed for an unknown reason in the middle of the road.

Several vehicles had to swerve to avoid hitting the man, but unfortunately one vehicle struck him, according to Cook.

A traffic reconstruction team attended the scene and conducted an investigation.

Police said they are awaiting more details as to the circumstances that led to the pedestrian collapsing in the roadway.

© 2017 Global News, a division of Corus Entertainment Inc.

Report an error

Comments

Comments closed.

Due to the sensitive and/or legal subject matter of some of the content on globalnews.ca, we reserve the ability to disable comments from time to time.

Please see our Commenting Policy for more.