February 4, 2017 4:49 pm
Updated: February 4, 2017 4:56 pm

Al Qaeda leader in Yemen labels Donald Trump a ‘fool’, says US raids failed

WATCH: Yemen raid planned by Obama administration, approved by Trump

A A

CAIRO, Feb 4 (Reuters) – The leader of Al Qaeda‘s Yemen branch said in a recorded speech released on Friday that the U.S. raid carried out last week had failed and was a blow to President Donald Trump.


Story continues below

Qassim al-Raymi, who became leader of Al Qaeda in the Arabian Peninsula (AQAP) in 2015, said that two U.S. helicopters had been downed in the incident and tens of U.S soldiers were injured.

“The fool of the White House has received a painful blow at the beginning of his journey through your hands,” al-Raymi said, addressing the people of Yemen.

READ MORE: U.S. commando killed, 3 wounded in Yemen raid authorized by Donald Trump

The raid on Al Qaeda in southern Yemen that took place last week was the first such operation authorized by President Trump as commander-in-chief.

U.S. Navy SEAL William “Ryan” Owens was killed in the raid, which the Pentagon said also killed 14 militants. Medics at the scene said about 30 people, including 10 women and children, also died.

Al-Raymi said that 14 men had been killed 11 women and children were killed in the raid.

© 2017 Thomson Reuters

Report an error

Comments

Want to discuss? Please read our Commenting Policy first.

Global News