December 29, 2015 6:44 pm
Updated: December 30, 2015 2:05 am

‘We lost a friend’: Funeral held for Mac’s murder victim

WATCH ABOVE: Friends of a man gunned down at a Mac's convenience store less than two weeks ago gathered to pay their respects Tuesday. Shallima Maharaj has the details.

A A

EDMONTON — A funeral was held Tuesday for one of the two men killed in two separate shootings at Mac’s convenience stores in Edmonton earlier this month.

A visitation for 41-year-old Ricky Massin Cenabre was held between 3 and 6 p.m. Tuesday at Serenity Funeral Service located at 10129 Princess Elizabeth Avenue. A funeral service followed.

Joel Abo-abo knew Cenabre for 15 years, the pair worked together back in their home country of the Philippines. Abo-abo described Cenabre as a reliable, respectful man.

Story continues below
Global News

“For my family, we lost a friend,” Abo-abo said. “And for the family back home, I’m really sad about that.”

Cenabre’s wife, 16-year-old son, mother and sister still live in the Philippines. Abo-abo said it was his dream to bring them to Canada.

“He was a very… a family man. Before he came to Canada he told me that he wanted to go to Canada to look for a greener pasture for his family,” Abo-abo said.

READ MORE: Edmontonians pay respects to murdered Mac’s store employees

Cenabre was one of two Mac’s store employees gunned down in armed robberies on Friday, Dec. 18.

At approximately 3:30 a.m. 35-year-old Karanpal Singh Bhangu was fatally shot while working at the Mac’s store on 82 Street and 32 Avenue. Just 14 minutes later, at a different Mac’s store near 108 Street and 61 Avenue, Cenabre was killed.

Edmonton’s police chief called the robberies extreme acts of violence.

“It’s heinous acts,” Rod Knecht said the day the robberies occurred. “Absolutely unnecessary, gratuitous, evil.”

READ MORE: ‘Unnecessary, gratuitous, evil’: 2 clerks shot to death in Edmonton robberies

Three people, including one youth, were charged with two counts each of first-degree murder in the deaths. Colton Steinhauer, 27, and Laylin Delorne, 24, appeared in court last Monday. Their cases were adjourned until Jan. 11, 2016.

The 13-year-old accused in the case, who cannot be named under the Youth Criminal Justice Act, also appeared in court. His next court date is scheduled for Jan. 4.

© 2015 Shaw Media

Report an error

Comments

Global News