March 13, 2015 1:45 pm
Updated: March 13, 2015 1:46 pm

UPDATE: 136 measles cases in Lanaudière

A dose of the measles vaccine is shown in this file photo.

Joe Raedle/Getty Images

JOLIETTE – Public health officials have confirmed there are now 136 cases of measles across the Lanaudière region, located just north of Montreal.

That’s up from 119 earlier this week.

At the end of February, there were 32 cases. Just one month ago, there were 10.

Health officials northeast of Montreal are bracing for even more cases.

Officials say the cases are all epidemiologically related and involve unvaccinated children and adults.

The cases are centred around one religious group from the region, La Mission de L’Esprit-Saint.

Dr. Muriel Lafarge, who heads the local health authority, said one student attended school on the last day before spring break and was still contagious.

Measles is highly contagious and causes fever, a distinctive red rash and a runny nose.

Story continues below
Global News

READ MORE: Measles outbreak 2015: tracking the Canadian cases

Most people who come in contact with the disease will just experience unpleasant illness, but there are also significant complications that can occur.

“The level of contact is varied – not all students had the same level of contact with the single case,” said Dr. Johanne Desilets.

“It’s one case in three pavilions, but given the level of contagion, we’re not taking any chances.”

READ MORE: Parents increasingly ask doctors to delay vaccines

The school has 700 students and staff spread across three pavilions.

All staff and students at the school are having their vaccination records checked.

READ MORE: Measles outbreak: What parents need to know about herd immunity

Information will be offered to parents and vaccinations will be offered Thursday.

READ MORE: Measles outbreak: 5 questions and answers

Fifty-one staff and 114 students were already identified Tuesday as not being fully vaccinated.

Anyone who refuses to be vaccinated will be required to stay home for two weeks.

Public health officials address media in Joliette on Wednesday, March 11, 2015.

Barry Donnelly/Global News

The health authority in Joliette says the spike was not unexpected given the group in question includes about 20 families, each with between seven and 10 children who were all unvaccinated.

READ MORE: Who are the anti-vaxxers in Canada? New poll profiles resistant group


The outbreak started after two families returned from Disneyland in California in early February.

There have also been 18 cases of measles confirmed in Ontario and a single case in Manitoba.

* with files from The Canadian Press

WATCH: The 2015 measles outbreak in Quebec

© 2015 Shaw Media

Report an error


Global News