January 26, 2015 8:05 pm
Updated: January 26, 2015 8:07 pm

Paul Beeston will remain Toronto Blue Jays president through 2015 season

Toronto Blue Jays President and CEO Paul Beeston, right, and general manager Alex Anthopoulos talk as they watch the Blue Jays during baseball spring training in Dunedin, Fla., on Sunday, Feb. 17, 2013.


TORONTO – Paul Beeston is staying on as president of the Toronto Blue Jays until the end of this season.

Team owner Rogers Communications says he has signed a contract extension and plans to retire at the end of the 2015 campaign.

The news comes after months of speculation that he would not be returning to the club.

Jays chairman Edward Rogers says the team had been in discussions about his future since his contract expired in October.

Rogers says despite the “many rumours flying about” it would have been inappropriate to “comment on such matters publicly.”

The 69-year-old Beeston was the first Blue Jays employee in 1976 and has been with the ball club for 31 years, winning two World Series titles with the team.


Global News

© 2015 The Canadian Press

Report an error


Global News