Top 10 home renos in Alberta in 2014
CALGARY- Canadians love to renovate, and basement and bathroom makeovers top the list of the most popular home improvement projects in Canada, according to Trusted Pros. The company based its findings on the volume of searches and quote requests made on its website trustedpros.ca.
Basement renos in 2014 were most popular in Alberta, Saskatchewan and Newfoundland while bathrooms were near or at the top of the list in almost every province.
Here’s a breakdown of the top home renovations in Alberta:
- Basement: 24%
- Decks: 15%
- New roof: 9%
- Kitchen: 9%
- Painting: 8%
- New flooring: 7%
- Landscaping: 5%
- New windows: 3%
- Home additions: 2
- Kitchen renovations are most popular in Quebec, British Columbia, Manitoba and Ontario, with people in Prince Edward Island the least interested in renovating their kitchen.
- Home additions, which can be prohibitively expensive, were the least popular reno in all provinces with the exception of Prince Edward Island.
- New flooring came in at number four in British Columbia. Trusted Pros speculates it may be related to a report that older Vancouver homes could be hiding valuable movie posters under the floorboards. They were often used by contractors to muffle noisy floors.
- New decks are most popular in Alberta and British Columbia.
- Bathroom renos are very popular because they add the most resale value to a home.
Below: Graphic from trustedpros.ca showing top home improvements in 2014 province-by-province: