WATCH: An Amber Alert, issued for three young boys Friday morning, was cancelled shortly before 5 p.m. Vinesh Pratap has the latest.
EDMONTON — A 50-year-old man and 31-year-old woman have been charged following an Amber Alert that was issued in Edmonton Friday for three young boys.
The man has been charged with housebreaking and committing assault. And both he and the woman face three counts of abandoning a child, as well as three counts of causing a child to be in need of intervention and obstruction/interference.
A person found guilty of the latter offence could be subject to a fine of up to $25,000, imprisonment for up to two years, or both.
Edmonton police called off an Amber Alert for the boys — aged two, eight and nine — just after 5 p.m. Friday, about five hours after it was issued. They said the boys were found safe and unharmed.
Earlier in the day, police said they believed the children were abducted from north Edmonton around 9:45 a.m. by 50-year-old Leonard Hutchinson. It was said that Hutchinson might be in the company of an aboriginal woman with long dark hair.
A man and woman were arrested Friday afternoon after the suspect’s vehicle was spotted on private property in the Niton Junction/Carrot Creek area, which is near Edson, west of Edmonton. The property owner called to report the vehicle to the RCMP, who responded to the scene.
Back in Edmonton, a Delwood resident said he saw Hutchinson and his wife Friday morning leave their home, where he said the couple lives with their three boys.
“They’re great kids, all three of them.”
He added that their dad seemed caring, although “a little on the ‘off side’ sometimes.”
The RCMP and EPS continue to investigate.
Editor’s note: This story was originally published Dec. 19, and updated Dec. 22 with the charges that were laid. Police have not responded to Global Edmonton’s requests for further clarification of the incident.
© 2014 Shaw Media