Steven Sotloff’s family speaks out on death of their son
PINECREST, Fla. – The family of a journalist slain by Islamic State militants says Steven Sotloff dedicated his life to portraying the suffering of people in war zones, but was “no hero.”
Family spokesman Barak Barfi told reporters gathered outside the family’s suburban Miami home Wednesday that Sotloff “tried to find good concealed in a world of darkness,” and to give voice to the weak and suffering in the Arab world.
A militant video released Tuesday purported to show the beheading of Sotloff, who was kidnapped in Syria last year.
Barfi said Sotloff was “no war junkie,” but was drawn to the stories of the turbulent Middle East.
Barfi said Sotloff’s family was grieving, but have pledged to “not allow our enemies to hold us hostage with the sole weapon they possess – fear.”
© The Canadian Press, 2014