MONTREAL — The father of murder victim Lin Jun is having a difficult time dealing with the death of his son.
Twice last year, he broke down in court when gruesome evidence was played during Luka Magnotta’s preliminary inquiry.
Lin Diran does not want a repeat.
With the trial a week away, lawyers for the grieving father are requesting that certain exhibits be played in court once to the jury – but they should never be made public.
“Those exhibits should not be distributed, or published, or reproduced,” says Benoit Lapointe, Lin Diran’s attorney.
“In our view it represents obscene material.”
Luka Magnotta is charged with murdering and then dismembering Concordia University student in May 2012.
The alleged crime was videotaped.
Justice Guy Cournoyer appeared sensitive to the father’s request.
He didn’t render a final decision, but he suggested only a portion of the police evidence should remain sealed.
Media lawyer Mark Bantey agrees with the judge’s reasoning.
“The position of the media I represent is that other exhibits are not obscene,” says attorney Mark Bantey, who represents Global News.
“They are shocking, not obscene. They should be made public.”
The 32-year-old suspect sat in the prisoner’s box as lawyers debated the delicate topic Thursday.
Magnotta’s appearance has changed – his weight gain is noticeable.
Some say he’s put on about 40 pounds.
Gallery: Jun Lin’s life in photos
Pretrial hearings continue Friday and next Wednesday at the Montreal Courthouse.
Next week, defence lawyer Luc Leclair is expected to file a motion on behalf of Magnotta’s family.
Some of his relatives could be called as witnesses and Leclair is asking the court to conceal their identities.
Justice Cournoyer denied a similar request this week.