August 28, 2014 3:54 am

Nigeria reports 2 new Ebola cases

Members of Doctors Without Borders (MSF) wearing protective gear walk outside the isolation ward of the Donka Hospital, on July 23, 2014 in Conakry. AFP PHOTO / CELLOU BINANI

ABUJA, Nigeria – Nigerian Health Minister Onyebuchi Chukwu says two more Ebola cases exist in the country, raising the number of confirmed cases to 15.

One is a worker at the Economic Community Of West African States, who was a primary contact of Liberian-American Patrick Sawyer, who flew into Lagos last month and died of Ebola. Chukwu says the person was under surveillance and fled to another city, Port Harcourt, and returned to Lagos amid a manhunt.

While the person recovered, after a doctor there treated him for symptoms, his doctor died on Friday in Port Harcourt of the virus, and is not yet buried. The minister says morticians who embalmed him are part of 70 people now under surveillance in Port Harcourt. The doctor’s widow is now symptomatic and under quarantine.

Global News
Report an error

Comments