Needle in Calgary boy’s hamburger sparks investigation
CALGARY- An investigation has been launched after a Calgary man claims his son bit into a hamburger with a needle inside.
Six-year-old James Deane was enjoying dinner on Wednesday night, until biting into a sharp object.
“I was chewing my burger in my mouth, then I felt this needle in my very back tooth,” he remembers. “Then I tried to get it out. The first time it didn’t come out, the second time it came out.”
“For a good 10 to 15 seconds I was awestruck,” adds his dad Mike Deane. “What if he had swallowed it, what if it was lodged in his throat?
“This isn’t cool. In my mind I am furious.”
He quickly contacted Costco, where he had bought the hamburger meat, as well as the Canadian Food Inspection Agency.
“I want them to investigate and find out why the needle is there,” Deane says. “That was in my son’s mouth…I want to know what was in that needle and what it was used for.”
Costco confirms the meat was purchased at their south Calgary store, and that they have started their own investigation with the supplier, JBS, which has a plant in Brooks.
JBS tells Global News that they are aware of the allegations, and cooperating with the investigation.