ABOVE: Watch the trailer for The Interview.
TORONTO — North Korea told the United Nations a new comedy from Canada’s Seth Rogen is an “act of war” and “terrorism.”
In a letter to U.N. Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon, the reclusive nation’s ambassador to the U.N. said the United States should ban the distribution of The Interview.
“To allow the production and distribution of such a film on the assassination of an incumbent head of a sovereign state should be regarded as the most undisguised sponsoring of terrorism as well as an act of war,” Ja Song Nam wrote, according to Reuters.
READ MORE: Full coverage of The Interview
The movie, which was filmed in B.C., stars Rogen and James Franco in a plot to assassinate North Korean leader Kim Jong Un.
The Interview was written and directed by Rogen and fellow Vancouver native Evan Goldberg. It is scheduled to hit theatres in October.
“The United States authorities should take immediate and appropriate actions to ban the production and distribution of the aforementioned film; otherwise, it will be fully responsible for encouraging and sponsoring terrorism.”
Last month, a spokesperson for North Korea’s Foreign Ministry warned of “a strong and merciless countermeasure” if The Interview is released.
Rogen responded on Twitter: “People don’t usually wanna kill me for one of my movies until after they’ve paid 12 bucks for it.”
People don’t usually wanna kill me for one of my movies until after they’ve paid 12 bucks for it. Hiyooooo!!!
— Seth Rogen (@Sethrogen) June 25, 2014
© Shaw Media, 2014