May 30, 2014 2:03 pm

Man charged in 2012 Quebec election shooting to pay for his own lawyer

Shooting suspect Richard Henry Bain sits with his eyes closed in the back of a police car, as he arrives at the Montreal courthouse.

Phil Carpenter/The Gazette

MONTREAL – The man charged in Quebec’s 2012 election-night shooting will pay a lawyer out of his own pocket.

Richard Henry Bain had been fighting for months to have the province front him his legal fees.

But his new lawyer told a judge in Montreal today the government agreement was too complex and cumbersome.

Marcel Guerin says he’s struck a deal with his client so Bain can pay him directly.

The beginning of Bain’s trial is set for January 2015, with jury selection to get going the following week.

Bain is charged with first-degree murder and attempted murder after an attack at a Montreal club in September 2012 as Pauline Marois celebrated the Parti Quebecois election victory.

He is also facing several weapons charges as well as some relating to arson in the same incident.

Guerin says he’ll tell the judge in mid-June whether he expects to follow through with a request for bail for Bain.

© The Canadian Press, 2014

Report an error

Comments