Landline telephone services restored in eastern Alberta
EDMONTON – Landline telephone service is back up and running in eastern Alberta after service went down for several hours Wednesday afternoon.
An emergency alert was issued shortly after 6 p.m. for parts of eastern Alberta after an incident affected landline telephone communications. While residents were able to call within their communities, they were not be able to dial 911 using a landline.
Affected areas included:
- City of Cold Lake and surrounding area
- Town and MD of Bonnyville
- Eastern part of Smoky Lake County
- Town and County of St. Paul
- County of Vermilion River and surrounding area
Chris Gerritsen, a spokesperson with Telus, says a hardware issue was to blame. The affected parts were replaced and service was fully restored around 7:51 p.m.