Canada’s top travel credit cards for 2014
CALGARY- The list is out, and a major change to the Aeroplan program has meant a shakeup in the list of Canada’s top credit cards.
For the sixth year in a row, Calgary-based website Rewards Canada has rated over 80 cards in five major categories: travel points with and without an annual fee, hybrid, airline and hotel. Cards are judged on things like cost, rate of return and redemption options.
This year, the new TD Aeroplan Visa Infinite Card dethroned CIBC, which won the airline category for the last five years.
“When TD announced its new partnership with Aeroplan, it created a feeding frenzy among credit card issuers—all hoping to scoop up disgruntled CIBC Aeroplan customers,” explained Patrick Sojka from Rewards Canada. “What followed was one of the most competitive and aggressive marketing battles in recent memory.”
American Express continues to offer good value for consumers, winning two of the five categories.
The winners are:
- Travel Points (with annual fee): Capital One Aspire Travel World MasterCard
- Travel Points (with no annual fee): American Express Blue Sky Credit Card
- Hybrid: American Express Gold Rewards Card
- Airline: TD Aeroplan Visa Infinite Card
- Hotel: The Starwood Preferred Guest Credit Card from American Express
Sojka recommends that those looking for a new credit card understand the earning policies including expiry dates, then put all their purchases on it to maximize the points earned.