January 29, 2014 8:24 pm

Rob Ford being sued after alleged jailhouse assault

Watch the video above: Rob Ford being sued after alleged jailhouse assault. Jackson Proskow reports. 

TORONTO – Toronto Mayor Rob Ford is being sued for his alleged role in the jailhouse assault of his sister`s former partner.

Ford’s lawyer Dennis Morris confirmed to Global News Wednesday that a statement of claim had been filed against the mayor, alleging that he was behind the alleged jailhouse assault of Scott MacIntyre, the former partner of Ford’s sister.

The Ministry of Correctional Services, former Don Bosco football player Aedan Petros and former assistant coach of the Don Bosco football team Payman Aboodowleh have also been named in the statement.

MacIntyre is seeking over $1 million in damages.

Morris called the allegations “irresponsible” and “without fact or foundation” while speaking with reporters at city hall Wednesday.

He also denied the mayor conspired to have MacIntyre attacked. Ford has yet to file a statement of defence.

Watch: Dennis Morris says the lawsuit against Rob Ford is “without fact or foundation.” 


Story continues below

In Depth: Mayor Rob Ford

MacIntyre was attacked in March 2012 by some inmates while he was being held at the Metro West Detention Centre after uttering threats against the mayor.

MacIntyre’s statement of claim says he told the mayor to “be careful” how he treated him while leaving his home in January 2012 because he knew “things about Ford and his family which had not been made public.”

“Ford understood the plaintiff to be referring to Ford’s (and members of his family’s) use of illicit drugs and association with criminals,” according to the statement of claim.

The statement alleges that Ford became “highly agitated” that MacIntyre might reveal Ford’s alleged “unsavoury activities.”

“Ford and Aboodowleh conspired to have the plaintiff threatened, and subsequently brutally beaten, while he was incarcerated in [Metro West Detention Centre],” according to the statement of claim.

The statement also claims the alleged conspiracy was caught on camera and uploaded to the Internet.

None of the lawsuit’s claims have been proven in court.

While it’s not known whether the video is the same as what was referenced in the statement of claim, a video showing the mayor in a violent, drunken rage was purchased and published by the Toronto Star in November.

In the video, the mayor is in a fit, slapping his legs and shouting about an unidentified person.

“When he’s dead, I’ll make sure that motherf—er… I need f—ing 10 minutes to make sure he’s dead,” Ford can be heard saying in the video.

The mayor later claimed he was “very, very inebriated” when the video was shot.

At a November sentencing hearing, the judge suggested MacIntyre had been beaten because he was a “bother” to Ford, according to a report in the Toronto Star.

The statement of claim was filed Wednesday as city councillors, including Ford, debated the city’s upcoming budget.

Ford’s criminal lawyer Dennis Morris was in council chambers Wednesday and met with the mayor in his office just after noon.

Read the full statement of claim below: 

Report an error