TC Energy Corp. says it has restarted the southern extension of its Keystone pipeline after repairing a Dec. 7 leak that led to the worst oil spill in the pipeline’s history.
The Calgary-based company says it will operate the pipeline under plans approved by U.S. regulators, including additional safety measures such as reduced operating pressure.
TC Energy restarted most of the 4,324-kilometre Keystone pipeline system on Dec. 14, while the 154-km Cushing Extension, running from just south of Steele City, Nebraska to Cushing, Oklahoma, had remained shut following the leak.
The cause of the estimated 14,000-barrel spill, which eclipsed a 2017 6,600-barrel spill in North Dakota and a 2019 4,500-barrel spill in South Dakota, is still under investigation.
The company says it is committed to remediate the spill site in Washington County, Kansas, which includes a stream and agricultural land.
A report released last year from the U.S. Government Accountability Office (GOA), a congressional watchdog agency, said Keystone’s accident history has been similar to other crude oil pipelines since 2010, but the severity of spills has worsened in recent years.
- Alberta Premier Danielle Smith to address immigration during province-wide address
- Rockslide closes Highway 93 between B.C. and Alberta until at least noon on Thursday
- No charges for Calgary police in shooting death of man who strapped grenade to chest
- Ex-Conservative MP Matt Jeneroux crosses floor to join Carney’s Liberals
Comments
Want to discuss? Please read our Commenting Policy first.