Advertisement

Highland Park business area reopens for the 1st time after parade shooting

Click to play video: 'Highland Park shooting: Suspect to be held without bond following 7 counts of 1st-degree murder charges'
Highland Park shooting: Suspect to be held without bond following 7 counts of 1st-degree murder charges
The man accused of opening fire during a July Fourth parade in Highland Park, Ill. will be held without bond, Lake County State’s Attorney Eric Rinehart said on Wednesday. The suspect, 21-year-old Robert E. Crimo III, is charged with seven counts of first-degree murder – Jul 6, 2022

A business district that had been blocked since a July 4 parade mass shooting that left seven people dead reopened Sunday morning in the Chicago suburb of Highland Park.

The 2-block by 3-block area consists largely of small shops and restaurants. It had been blocked off with crime scene tape, barricades and uniformed officers since Monday as the FBI and other law enforcement agencies processed evidence.

Read more: Witnesses turned helpers at the Highland Park mass shooting: ‘I could do something’

The street was generally quiet shortly after police removed the barricades, except for news media vehicles, a few other vehicles and people walking.

“We came out at 5:30 this morning. It was open,” said Dale Miller, 70, who said was walking his dog, Milo, near where the shooting occurred. “This is our first walk of the day.”

Story continues below advertisement

He said he did not attend the parade this year but lives about 100 yards (91 meters) away and heard the gunshots, though he didn’t realize what they were until his brother called him from Florida in a panic.

“We just have fireworks going off here, that’s all,” Miller said he told his brother. “So the fireworks weren’t fireworks.”

He got many other calls after word spread about the shooting, including one from his daughter, a teacher in Florida.

“She called me up in tears and said I’ve lost my safe haven,” Miller said. “Highland Park was always the one place I could go where I was safe and that’s taken away.”

Click to play video: 'Illinois parade shooting leaves 2-year-old boy orphaned, covered in blood'
Illinois parade shooting leaves 2-year-old boy orphaned, covered in blood

The reopening comes two days after funerals started for the seven people who were killed in the shooting. Authorities said the attacker fired more than 80 rounds into the parade crowd with semi-automatic rifle.

Story continues below advertisement

Robert E. Crimo III, 21, has been charged with seven counts of first-degree murder. Prosecutors expect to bring more charges representing the more than 30 people were wounded in the attack.

Investigators say Crimo, of neighboring Highwood, legally purchased five weapons and planned the attack for weeks before he climbed onto the roof of a business along the parade route and opened fire.

Authorities say Crimo fled the parade by blending in with the fleeing crowd, then drove to the Madison, Wisconsin, area, where he contemplated a second attack. He returned to the Highland Park area and his car was spotted by police.

Questions remain about whether Crimo should have been able to legally purchase firearms in Illinois. Illinois State Police officials have defended the approval of his gun license in December 2019, months after police received reports that he had made suicidal and violent threats.

Miller expressed hope Highland Park will recover.

“It’s a very close-knit city and it’s a city that is really hurting right now, but is not even remotely destroyed,” he said.

Sponsored content