Advertisement

U.K., Spain confirm new coronavirus virus cases as French focus on containment

Click to play video: 'Coronavirus outbreak: Spanish officials say British man is country’s second case' Coronavirus outbreak: Spanish officials say British man is country’s second case
WATCH: Spanish officials say British man is country's second case – Feb 9, 2020

The U.K. confirmed its fourth case of the new virus from China and Spain reported its second Sunday as European authorities pressed to contain the spread of the coronavirus by tracking down people who came into contact with those infected.

Both of the new cases were acquired during trips to France, officials said.

French medical authorities zeroed in on a ski resort in the Alps where five British citizens, including a 9-year-old child, contracted the virus. Officials were testing hundreds of children and their families in Contamines-Montjoie.

READ MORE: 2nd plane on its way to Wuhan, China, to evacuate Canadians: minister

French Health Minister Agnes Buzyn visited the resort on Sunday and sought to reassure residents and tourists that they can “live normally” there because there’s a “very weak risk” of catching the virus.

Story continues below advertisement

Even so, the fact that a British man who had become infected during a business trip to Singapore could infect others days later in the French Alps underscored the potential for the outbreak to spread further.

Click to play video: 'Coronavirus outbreak: Death toll surpasses SARS as millions in China set to return to work' Coronavirus outbreak: Death toll surpasses SARS as millions in China set to return to work
Coronavirus outbreak: Death toll surpasses SARS as millions in China set to return to work – Feb 9, 2020

Italian health authorities in Tuscany, meanwhile, were trying to re-trace the steps of a Taiwanese couple who stayed four days in a Florence hotel. They flew to Hong Kong and then to Taiwan on Feb. 1 and were later confirmed to have the virus.

The new U.K. case is a known contact of a previously confirmed case there, the country’s Chief Medical Officer Professor Chris Whitty said, adding that “experts … continue to work hard tracing patient contacts.”

Click to play video: 'Coronavirus outbreak: World Health Organization says they’ve seen stability in Hubei over past 4 days' Coronavirus outbreak: World Health Organization says they’ve seen stability in Hubei over past 4 days
Coronavirus outbreak: World Health Organization says they’ve seen stability in Hubei over past 4 days – Feb 8, 2020

In Spain, authorities were working to identify everyone who came into contact with a British man whose case was detected in Mallorca, a popular vacation island in the Mediterranean Sea, Spain’s National Microbiology Center said.

Story continues below advertisement

The man, who lives on the island, contracted the virus at the end of January at a French ski resort, according to Fernando Simon, head of Spain’s Coordination Center for Health Alerts and Emergencies. He did not say whether it was Contamines-Montjoie.

The man, who was not identified, is healthy but was being kept in isolation in Palma de Mallorca, Simon told a news conference in Madrid. His wife and two daughters tested negative.

In Britain, a plane evacuating more than 200 people from the Chinese city at the centre of the epidemic landed Sunday at RAF Brize Norton. British officials said it brought back 105 British citizens and family members, as well as 95 European citizens and family members. In a carefully co-ordinated ballet of secure planes and buses, those passengers were distributed around Europe.

READ MORE: Where did they go? Millions fled Wuhan, China, before coronavirus lockdown

The British passengers were taken to a hotel-conference centre in Milton Keys, where they will be quarantined for 14 days.

Some 20 people from Germany on the British flight were taken to Berlin, to be tested and quarantined at a hospital for two weeks. Another 17 European evacuees were flown to Berlin and were being transported on to Luxembourg, the Netherlands, Austria and Romania on special flights.

Story continues below advertisement

Thirty-five French citizens on the British flight were flown to southern France and were immediately taken into quarantine. The French government had already brought hundreds of Europeans and Africans from Wuhan back on two earlier flights to France.

Click to play video: 'Coronavirus outbreak: Death toll rises to over 700 U.S. man becomes first non-Chinese fatality' Coronavirus outbreak: Death toll rises to over 700 U.S. man becomes first non-Chinese fatality
Coronavirus outbreak: Death toll rises to over 700 U.S. man becomes first non-Chinese fatality – Feb 8, 2020

Eight Italians on the British flight were flown to Italy by the Italian air force and were transferred to a Italian military hospital in Rome to be quarantined. Aboard the same flight to Italy were also seven Danes, three Swedes and two Greeks.

The virus death toll in China rose Sunday to 811, passing the number of fatalities in the 2002-2003 SARS epidemic, and officials said nearly 37,200 people have been infected there.

Europe has seen a total of 39 infections in nine countries, including 14 in Germany.

Sponsored content