UPDATE: A spokeswoman for the national prosecutor’s office in the Dominican Republic says a second person has been arrested on Tuesday in the investigation into the shooting of former Red Sox star David Ortiz. There is no public indication the man is the suspected shooter.
David Ortiz was back in Boston on Monday night for medical care, a day after authorities said the former Red Sox slugger affectionately known as Big Papi was ambushed by a gunman at a bar in his native Dominican Republic.
A plane carrying the 43-year-old retired athlete landed after a flight from the Dominican, the team said.Ortiz had been in stable condition in intensive care at a Santo Domingo hospital after doctors removed his gallbladder and part of his intestine, according to his spokesman, Leo López. He said Ortiz’s liver was also damaged in the shooting Sunday night.
Ortiz was at the Dial Bar and Lounge in Santo Domingo on Sunday night when a gunman approached from behind and shot him at close range in the torso, authorities said.The gunman was not immediately identified or arrested and the motive for the shooting was under investigation, with authorities trying to determine whether Ortiz was the target.The operator of the motorcycle that was carrying the gunman was captured and beaten by a crowd of people at the bar, authorities said.Eliezer Salvador, who was at the scene, said the gunman said nothing, just fired once. Salvador then drove a wounded Ortiz to the hospital, telling reporters they had a brief conversation in the car as he urged the baseball great to stay calm and breathe.“Do you have any problems with anyone?” Salvador recalled asking him, to which Ortiz replied: “No, my brother, I’ve never wronged anyone.”Salvador held up Ortiz’s bloody belongings for reporters, along with some of his jewelry. He also apologized for hitting several cars while rushing to the hospital: “That wrongdoing was justified.”Ortiz’s father, Leo, said he had no idea why someone would have shot at his son.
Chicago White Sox pitcher Ivan Nova, who’s from the Dominican, said the shooting rattled him.“The way that everything is going right now back in my country, I’ve got to be honest, I’m not very happy to say what is going on right now over there,” Nova said. “A lot of times I see guys who play on my team coming to the United States to live. The dream that you have as a baseball player is to have a good career, and then go back home and spend time with your family. Now you’ve got to think about if DR is a safe place for you to be in. It’s a tough situation.”Ortiz, who retired after the 2016 season and lives at least part of the year in the Dominican Republic, is often seen getting his cars washed and hanging out with friends, including other baseball players, artists and entertainers.WATCH: Red Sox pull ‘racially insensitive’ David Ortiz bobblehead before game
The Red Sox retired his number, 34, in 2017, and Boston renamed a bridge and a stretch of road outside Fenway Park in his honor. He maintains a home in Weston, on the outskirts of Boston.Ortiz galvanized the city in the aftermath of the 2013 Boston Marathon bombing that left three people dead, bellowing through a megaphone at Fenway Park: “This is our (expletive) city!”“In 2013, when we needed David Ortiz the most, he was there for us,” Red Sox president and CEO Sam Kennedy said Monday. “Our focus is on his health and on getting him back here for treatment.
‘He’s OK’: Family working with Boston Red Sox to get David Ortiz home
Red Sox legend Ortiz in stable condition after being shot in Dominican Republic
Red Sox pull ‘racially insensitive’ David Ortiz bobblehead before game
© 2019 The Canadian Press