March 31, 2019 5:06 pm
Updated: March 31, 2019 9:06 pm

Pope Francis defends retaining French cardinal convicted of covering up sex abuse

WATCH: Pope Francis defended his decision to reject Philippe Barbarin's resignation, after the French Roman Catholic cardinal was convicted on charges of failing to report sex abuse.

A A

Pope Francis on Sunday defended his decision to reject the resignation of Philippe Barbarin, the French Roman Catholic cardinal convicted on charges of failing to report sexual abuse.

Story continues below

Speaking to reporters on the plane returning from a two-day trip to Morocco, Francis said he was obliged to give the archbishop of Lyon the benefit of the doubt until his appeal is heard.

“I can’t accept it because in juridical terms, in classic world jurisprudence, there is the presumption of innocence as long as the case is open, and he has appealed,” Francis said.

READ MORE: Montreal priest sentenced to 8 years for sexually abusing 2 underage boys

Barbarin offered his resignation when he met the pope on March 18.

A court in Lyon ruled on March 7 that between July 2014 and June 2015, Barbarin covered up allegations of sexual abuse of boy scouts in the 1980s and early 1990s by a priest who is due to go on trial later this year.

Barbarin, 68, the highest-profile cleric to be caught up in the child sex abuse scandal inside the French Church, received a six-month suspended prison sentence. He has denied the allegations and launched an appeal.

“When the second court hands down its decision, then we will see what will happen. But we must always have the presumption of innocence. This is important because it goes beyond the superficial condemnation by the media,” the pope said.

“Maybe he is not innocent, but the presumption (of innocence) must be there,” the pope said.

WATCH: Concerns about Quebec inquiry into Catholic Church sex abuse claims

The Barbarin trial put one of Europe’s most senior clergymen in the spotlight at a time when the pope is grappling with criticism over the Church’s response to a decades-long sexual global abuse crisis.

Barbarin has stepped aside temporarily pending the appeal and has handed over the day-to-day running of the diocese to a vicar general.

READ MORE: What Canadians can take away from Vatican summit

He has said he would remain head of the dioceses in title and would continue to sign off on documents until the appeal process is over.

The Church’s credibility has been damaged in much of the world by abuse scandals in countries including Ireland, Chile, Australia, France, the United States and Poland, paying billions of dollars in damages to victims and forcing parishes to close.

The scandals have reached the upper echelons of the Vatican itself with the conviction of Cardinal George Pell, jailed this month for six years for abusing boys in his native Australia. He had served as the Vatican treasurer and a member of the pope‘s innermost council of cardinals until his conviction last year.

© 2019 Reuters

Report an error

Comments

Comments closed.

Due to the sensitive and/or legal subject matter of some of the content on globalnews.ca, we reserve the ability to disable comments from time to time.

Please see our Commenting Policy for more.