December 23, 2018 10:40 am
Updated: December 24, 2018 3:36 pm

2 people arrested in Gatwick drone incident ‘no longer suspects,’ released

WATCH: Couple arrested in relation to Gatwick drone scare feel 'vindicated' by release

A A

British police on Sunday released without charge two people arrested in an inquiry into the illegal use of drones at London’s Gatwick Airport that crippled operations for three days last week.

READ MORE: Man, woman arrested in drone intrusions that brought busy Gatwick Airport to a standstill

Sussex police arrested a 47-year-old man and a 54-year-old woman from the local area late on Friday after drones were flown onto the airfield between Wednesday and Friday, forcing about 1,000 flights to be diverted or canceled and affecting 140,000 passengers.

“Both people have fully co-operated with our inquiries, and I am satisfied that they are no longer suspects in the drone incidents at Gatwick,” Det. Chief Supt. Jason Tingley said on Sunday.

The two were held after information was passed to the police by a member of the public, Tingley told Sky News. He said he was confident the arrests were justified.

WATCH: Gatwick Airport in U.K. re-opens after drones cause chaos

He said authorities were continuing to actively follow lines of investigation to catch those responsible for the most disruptive incursions from unmanned aerial vehicles seen at any major airport.

A damaged drone had been recovered close to the perimeter of the airport, he said, and it was being forensically examined, for example, for clues about whether it was controlled remotely from afar or by somebody in the vicinity.

No group has claimed responsibility for the disruption.

WATCH: Why drone threats crippled Gatwick Airport in the U.K.


Story continues below

READ MORE: Gatwick airport, Britain’s 2nd busiest airport, completely shuts down — because of drones

“We have kept an open mind throughout and that is still the case with regards to the motivation behind these incidents,” he said.

The drones were spotted at Britain’s second-largest airport on Wednesday evening, forcing it to close its runway in the run-up to Christmas. Every time the airport sought to reopen the runway on Thursday, the drones returned.

Authorities finally regained control over the airfield after the army deployed unidentified military technology to guard the area, reassuring the airport that it was safe enough to fly.

WATCH: Canadian drone rules are changing but may not stop drone operators from causing a safety risk

The drones caused misery for travelers, many sleeping on the airport floor as they searched for alternative routes to holidays and Christmas family gatherings.

Airlines operating at Gatwick, which is located south of London, include EasyJet, British Airways and Norwegian.

The airport said on Sunday it was offering a reward of 50,000 pounds ($63,275) for information leading to the arrest and conviction of those responsible.

It said it was expecting to operate a full schedule of 785 flights on Sunday, although a small number of delays and cancellations could occur as the airport fully recovered.

© 2018 Reuters

Report an error

Comments

Want to discuss? Please read our Commenting Policy first.