May 11, 2018 7:35 am
Updated: May 11, 2018 10:27 am

5 years after Lac-Megantic tragedy claimed 47 lives, $133M rail bypass to be built

WATCH ABOVE: PM Trudeau announces Lac-Megantic rail bypass nearly 5 years after deadly train accident

A A

The Quebec and federal governments say they will jointly fund a rail bypass in Lac-Megantic, nearly five years after 47 people were killed when a train derailed and exploded in the town.

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau and Quebec Premier Philippe Couillard announced today the two levels of government have signed an agreement-in-principle to jointly fund the project.

READ MORE: MMA and former employees plead guilty, fined $1.25 million in Lac-Mégantic case

The federal government will assume 60 per cent of the cost of building the bypass, with Quebec taking on the remaining 40 per cent.

The 12.8 kilometre route taking rail traffic away from the downtown area was selected following a feasibility study.


Story continues below

While the estimated cost is $133 million, the next phase of the study will clarify the final cost of the bypass.

On July 6, 2013, the runaway train carrying crude oil from the United States careened off the track in Lac-Megantic and exploded, killing 47 people and destroying part of the town centre.

READ MORE: Crown says bankrupt railway in Lac-Mégantic tragedy won’t have to stand trial 

Trudeau says many people are still dealing with the ongoing effects of trauma and loss and he hopes the bypass will help the community continue to heal and rebuild.

 

© 2018 The Canadian Press

Report an error

Comments

Want to discuss? Please read our Commenting Policy first.