The list of Western University employees joining the province’s sunshine list is longer than ever.
According to the annual sunshine list, 1,337 employees at London’s university made $100,000 or more in 2016. For the first time since a double-dip pay scandal rocked the community in 2014, president and vice-chancellor Amit Chakma’s name is among those listed.
Chakma earned $441,354.42 in 2016 after choosing to redirect his 2015 salary towards repaying funds he received in 2014. At that time, Chakma earned $924,000.04; his base salary remained $440,000 but he received payment in lieu of a one-year administrative leave included in his first five-year contract.
The so-called “double dip” salary prompted a backlash that included a third-party review of compensation practices, the resignation of Board of Governors chair Chirag Shah, and non-confidence motions against Chakma and Shah which were ultimately defeated by members of the university’s senate.
Still, while Chakma returned to the Sunshine List in 2016, the highest-earner out of Western University was dean, professor, and medical doctor Michael Strong with $475,459.48. Listed third in order of earnings was dean and professor Robert Kennedy with $439,999.84.
Western University Sunshine List
- Michael Strong, dean/professor/medical doctor – $475,459.48
- Amit Chakma, president and vice-chancellor – $441,354.42
- Robert Kennedy, dean/professor – $439,999.84
- Michael Strong, dean/professor/medical doctor – $487,126.00
- Robert Kennedy, dean/professor – $444,999.84
- Richard Kim, professor/medical doctor – $414,940.20
- Amit Chakma, president and vice-chancellor – $924,000.04
- Michael Strong, dean/professor/medical doctor – $462,125.92
- Robert Kennedy, dean/professor – $441,499.84