Calgary police officer charged with aggravated assault also named in 2013 lawsuit

A Calgary police officer has been charged with aggravated assault. File/Global News

A Calgary police officer has been charged with aggravated assault in connection with an arrest that happened two years ago. Sources have identified the officer as Trevor Lindsay, who is named in a lawsuit still underway for an alleged 2013 assault.

Police said Friday a suspect was arrested after officers were called to a home in the 700 block of 9 Street S.W. on May 25, 2015 for a break-in. The suspect had reportedly broken into his ex-girlfriend’s home and stolen a “number of items.”

He was found and arrested near the scene, then taken to the CPS Court Services Section. Multiple CCTV cameras then captured officers removing the suspect from the back of a police vehicle at about 9:55 p.m.

“At this time an altercation took place between one of the officers and the man, resulting in the man being thrown to the ground while handcuffed,” police said in a Friday statement.

Story continues below advertisement

Officers said the suspect received serious head injuries and was taken to hospital, where he later recovered. He was eventually charged with one count of break and enter and three counts of breach of a recognizance order.

“From the injuries he received on that day, he recovered,” Insp. Ryan Ayliffe said Friday.

Ayliffe said incidents such as these affect the morale of all service members, but that officers are just “trying to do a good job every day.”

“In this instance, I’m not sure what happened,” he said. “I haven’t seen any of this video.”

The six-year frontline CPS member charged with assault was one of the transporting officers in the incident. He is on administrative leave with status under review.

When asked why he wasn’t being named by police, Ayliffe said CPS decided not to identify him “because the officer was on duty in the execution of his duties.”

Lindsay has been named in a complaint served to the CPS by lawyer Tom Engel dated January 2016. Engel represents Godfred Addai-Nyamekye, who claimed he was assaulted by Lindsay in an incident that happened Dec. 28, 2013.

Engel told Global News Addai-Nyamekye was driving in cold winter conditions when his car got stuck in the snow. He got out of the car and police happened to drive by. Court documents reportedly show Addai-Nyamekye was aggressive when police stopped on scene, which he denied. He said he was then put into a police vehicle and dropped off several kilometres away.

Story continues below advertisement

He said he called 911 for help and Lindsay was dispatched to the call. Court statements reportedly show Lindsay said he felt threatened by Addai-Nyamekye, who he said was swearing and acting aggressively. So he pushed him to the ground.

When Addai-Nyamekye tried to run away, his letter of complaint said he was Tasered and punched.

“In the course of his dealings with Mr. Addai-Nyamekye, Lindsay viciously beat him by punching him multiple times in the face and head and kneeing him repeatedly in the ribs, back and shoulder blade,” reads the letter.

Engel said Addai-Nyamekye was acquitted in June 2015 of “bogus” charges issued by Lindsay in what he called a “malicious prosecution” that was refuted by the judge.

Engel told Global News Friday the lawsuit is still in progress.

“This is a real problem with the CPS – they don’t take effective action. They had the HAWCS video to see what happened [in Addai-Nyamekye’s case]. They knew there was obviously substance to his complaint and they didn’t do anything to protect the public from Lindsay.”
Story continues below advertisement

Engel said transparency is key to police accountability and called CPS’ decision to hide the name of the officer charged “outrageous.”

“The CPS will charge somebody, then say, ‘if anyone else has complaints about this guy, let us know.’ Well what about Lindsay? He allegedly did this to Godfred. How many other victims may there be out there? They should be announcing his name and saying, ‘if there’s any other complaints, you can contact the CPS.’”

Police said the director of law enforcement and ASIRT were notified the day after the May 2015 assault and subsequently directed the CPS Professional Standards Section to continue with the investigation.

“A report was approved by ASIRT on May 10, 2016, and forwarded to the Edmonton Crown Prosecutors Office on Sept. 26, 2016.”

Sponsored content