has released its year-end data, giving us some insight into which videos were popular in Canada throughout 2016.
And based on the info, there were plenty of clips that caught Canadians’ eyes and got us talking (including a Global News video from our YouTube channel
that saw reporter Reid Fiest tackling the Fort McMurray fire — see above).
Top Trending Videos in Canada:
READ MORE: Instagram’s biggest moments in 2016, from celebrities and sports stars to #love
WATCH BELOW: Toronto restaurant featured in Drake and Rihanna video sees spike in business
Top Trending Music Videos in Canada:
- Rihanna – Work (Explicit) ft. Drake by RihannaVEVO
- Fifth Harmony – Work from Home ft. Ty Dolla $ign by FifthHarmonyVEVO
- The Chainsmokers – Closer (Lyric) ft. Hasley by ChainsmokersVEVO
- Calvin Harris – This Is What You Came For (Official Video) ft. Rihanna by CalvinHarrisVEVO
- ZAYN – PILLOWTALK by ZaynVEVO
- twenty one pilots: Heathens (from Suicide Squad: The Album) [OFFICIAL VIDEO] by FueledByRamen
- CAN’T STOP THE FEELING! (From DreamWorks Animation’s Trolls) [OFFICIAL VIDEO] by justintimberlakeVEVO
- The Weeknd – Starboy ft. Daft Punk by TheWeekndVEVO
- Shawn Mendes – Treat You Better by ShawnMendesVEVO
- Ruth B– Lost Boy (Official Video) by RuthBVEVO
Canadian actor Seth Rogen starred in two of the top trending movie trailers with, Sausage Party and Neighbors 2.
WATCH BELOW: Movie trailer: Sausage Party
Top Trending Movie Trailers in Canada:
- Suicide Squad – Official Trailer 1 [HD] by WarnerBrosPictures
- Marvel’s Captain America: Civil War – Trailer 2 by MARVEL
- ROGUE ONE: A STAR WARS STORY Official Teaser Trailer by StarWars
- GHOSTBUSTERS – Official Trailer (HD) by SonyPicturesEntertainment
- SAUSAGE PARTY – Official Restricted Trailer – In Cinemas August 11 by SonyPictures Releasing Australia
- WONDER WOMAN Comic-Con Trailer by WarnerBrosPictures
- Neighbors 2 – Official Trailer (HD) by UniversalPictures
- Marvel’s Doctor Strange Teaser Trailer by MARVEL
- THE SHALLOWS – Official Trailer #2 (HD) by SonyPicturesEntertainment
- Jason Bourne – Official Trailer (HD) by UniversalPictures
In addition to the top trending videos, trailers and music videos, there were some other notable moments for Canada on YouTube in 2016.
We set a new Canadian viewership record over the summer, as Canadians both at home and around the world flocked to the website to watch the livestream of the Tragically Hip’s final concert
in Kingston. Viewers from 188 different countries tuned in to watch the event and post-show.
We also turned to YouTube to remember Leonard Cohen
. Following the announcement of the poet and songwriter’s death on Nov. 10, the video for his performance of Hallelujah
became the most-watched video on YouTube for that day. Fun fact: Hallelujah
is actually the most frequently covered song from before 2010 on YouTube, with 8.7K covers. Jeff Buckley’s version
of the iconic song remains the most popular with 84 million views.
The first U.S. presidential debate also broke records on YouTube, with nearly 2 million concurrent views around the world – 14X more live viewership than the debates in 2012. Canada was the top country outside of the U.S. that tuned in to the event.
2016 was also an incredible year for Canadian Creators. We saw 199 channels reach the 100K subscriber mark, 42 hit the 1M subscriber mark and Canada’s biggest YouTube star, Lilly Singh, hit the 10M subscriber mark.