WASHINGTON – The FBI says it won’t publicly disclose the method that allowed it to access a locked iPhone used by one of the San Bernardino attackers.
In a statement Wednesday, FBI official Amy Hess said the FBI does not “have enough technical information” about the software vulnerability that was exploited to make it public.
An unidentified third party approached the federal government last month with a method that it said could get into the phone used by Syed Farook, who along with his wife killed 14 people in the December attacks.
The method proved successful.
But the FBI said Wednesday that although it paid for the method, it did not “purchase the rights to technical details about how the method functions.”