January 21, 2016 1:21 am
Updated: January 21, 2016 1:28 am

Kamloops family says crying baby saved them from carbon monoxide poisoning

WATCH: A Kamloops family says their crying baby saved them from carbon monoxide poisoning. Ted Chernecki reports.


Monique and Kyle Ruppel were asleep in their Kamloops home early Friday morning when their young girl’s crying alerted them that something was wrong.

“Celia started crying a little bit for the second time that night and I got out of bed to go and see what was wrong with her,” said Monique. “I had trouble walking and I had really bad vertigo.

Story continues below

“[Celia] just started vomiting all over me after I woke her up. At that same time, I looked down and my cat was collapsed at my feet. That’s when we realized something serious…was going on.”

When firefighters arrived, their portable detectors showed extremely high levels of carbon monoxide.

The three of them were rushed to Royal Inland Hospital and then flown to Vancouver General Hospital to undergo treatment for carbon monoxide poisoning.

Monique’s coworkers looked after their pets and by Saturday everyone was back home breathing a sigh of relief.

The Ruppels had carbon monoxide detectors installed and the leaky furnace that was the source of the leak is now headed for the landfill.

“You really do need to appreciate every moment and value every opportunity you have to spend together because you never know when disaster is lurking around the corner,” said Kyle.

– With files from CFJC and Ted Chernecki

Report an error


Want to discuss? Please read our Commenting Policy first.

Global News