January 5, 2016 7:12 am
Updated: January 5, 2016 7:50 am

Firefighter injured in sauna fire explosion at downtown Toronto highrise


A Toronto firefighter was taken to hospital with burn injuries following an explosion at a four-alarm highrise fire in downtown Toronto Monday night.

The fire broke out just before 11 p.m. ET. at a building located at 57 Charles Street near Bay Street.

Toronto Fire officials say the blaze started inside a sauna on the building’s second floor.

Story continues below

“When they opened the door with a hose line to put the fire out the influx of oxygen caused an explosion that blew them back, injured a few of our guys,” said Toronto District Fire Chief James Green.

“It blew doors out down the hallway. It blew out the sliding glass doors in an apartment on this side and an apartment on the other side of the building.”

Green said a fire captain was taken to hospital with burn injuries and two others suffered facial burns but remained on scene.

Fire crews issued a “Mayday” shortly after the explosion but no other injuries were reported.

“It’s a huge tragedy averted. We’re just thanking our lucky stars that nobody was more seriously hurt,” Green said. “It was a huge blast. Incredible force.”

© 2016 Shaw Media

Report an error


Want to discuss? Please read our Commenting Policy first.