Man dies in hospital after being burned in Toronto apartment fire

A Toronto fire tuck is shown April 21, 2011.
Toronto fire, police and hazmat crews were called to the possible ammonia leak near Steeles Avenue and Highway 400 on Thursday night. Aaron Vincent Elkaim / File / The Canadian Press

TORONTO – A man has died in hospital after being severely burned in an apartment fire in Toronto.

Firefighters were called to the sixth floor of the building in the area of Don Mills Road and Eglinton Avenue just before 8 p.m. Tuesday.

Fire Capt. Mike Strapko says it appears work was being done in the unit involving a solvent-based floor finisher when the fire somehow ignited.

The man was rushed to hospital with severe burns to his body but later succumbed to his injuries.

Sponsored content