LONDON – A judge has sentenced former News of the World news editor Ian Edmondson to eight months in prison for conspiring to hack the phones of celebrities, politicians and royals.
Edmondson is the eighth journalist from the now-defunct Rupert Murdoch-owned tabloid to be convicted over illegal activities.
He initially went on trial last year alongside colleagues including former editors Rebekah Brooks and Andy Coulson, but was dropped as a defendant after a judge declared him unfit to stand trial.
He pleaded guilty last month to conspiring to intercept voicemails between 2000 and 2006.
Passing sentence Friday, Judge John Saunders said Edmondson had suffered from depression and other medical problems and had lost his job and his reputation as a journalist.
The judge said: “He has only himself to blame for that.”