Ghomeshi cut from Ryan Reynolds tribute in Canada’s Walk of Fame show
Shaw Media and Canada’s Walk of Fame say Ghomeshi’s introduction of inductee Ryan Reynolds at the Oct. 19 event has been cut from the special.
“Canada’s Walk of Fame is a non-profit organization and a national registered charity that celebrates Canadian excellence by honouring those who have excelled in their respective fields and who will engage and inspire the next generation with their amazing stories,” said a joint statement issued by Canada’s Walk of Fame and Shaw Media on Wednesday.
“After careful consideration, Jian Ghomeshi’s presenter appearance in the 2014 Canada’s Walk of Fame Show will not be featured.”
The two-hour broadcast, hosted by Jason Priestley, is set to air Dec. 19 at 8 pm ET/PT on Global.
The other inductees include Olympic hockey star Hayley Wickenheiser, actress Rachel McAdams, former Supreme Court justice Louise Arbour, musicians The Band and the late guitarist Jeff Healey.
Ghomeshi was also dropped as host of the Giller Prize gala and replaced by Rick Mercer.
Ghomeshi was let go by the CBC last month. The former Q radio host has said he was fired because of the risk that his sex life would become public “as a result of a campaign of false allegations” motivated by his “sexual behaviour.” He has launched a lawsuit against the public broadcaster.
As many as nine women have alleged in media reports that they experienced “abusive behaviour” by Ghomeshi. He has said he has engaged in rough sex, but that it was always consensual. He has vowed to meet the allegations “directly.”
Toronto police have since launched an investigation after three women came forward with accusations.
© 2014 The Canadian Press