Advertisement

Teen’s close call with drug ‘Molly’ prompts warning to other young people

WATCH: A teenager is using social media to warn other teens about “Molly”, a kind of ecstasy, after one pill nearly killed her. John Daly reports.

VANCOUVER – Have you heard of Molly?

It is the street drug of choice, after pot, for many teens. It is MDMA, and is a form of ecstasy that is widely free of adulterants. It can also be deadly.

READ MORE: What is party drug Molly?

A Vancouver teen’s close call with party drug Molly has her urging others to learn more. We explain what it is, how it works, and associated risks.

Seventeen-year-old Taylor Snider had a very close call with Molly and she decided to share her story on Facebook as a warning to other young people.

Story continues below advertisement

Taylor, who goes to school in Puerto Vallarta but grew up in White Rock, said a few months ago she and her friends were curious about Molly and decided to try it.

Four of them decided to take it at a concert they were going to.

“About an hour after I took the pill, I just took one pill, so after I took that pill I started throwing up and throwing up all night and then one of the girls said ‘oh no this is completely normal, this happens all the time’,” said Taylor on Global News BC1 program Unfiltered with Jill Krop.

But she continued to throw up all night and then in the morning she had a seizure.

Her brother then took her to her mom’s house and then to hospital.

She was in a coma for 46 hours but she would flail around from time to time.

“I was really pissed off, for lack of a better word,” said Taylor’s dad Dave, “and really angry at what was going on.”

“Before that I didn’t even know what Molly was.”

Taylor said she doesn’t remember anything but wanted to share how scary the experience was for her. So she decided to post it on Facebook, and the post has been shared more than 47,000 times.

Story continues below advertisement

I decided to post my experience to cause awareness of the severity of this drug. There are so many people going through the same thing I did. Many weren’t as lucky, and didn’t end up waking up. I think about this everyday, and decided to do something about it. Taking the drug is like playing Russian roulette with your body. Unless you’ve taken it before, you have no way of knowing if your body can metabolize the drug or not. If you don’t want this to happen to you, or put your family through this, simply don’t take the chance. The first sign was puking, followed by seizures. If you see this happening to someone around you, no, its not “normal.” Call 911 right away.

Taylor said doctors told her that the drugs she took could have been contaminated with something like Drano or rat poison.

“The one I took was in a clear tablet and inside of it was a little bit of pink,” she said.

“Before I didn’t know anything about Molly and I think that’s what the issue was, I didn’t research it or anything.”

WATCH: 17-year-old Taylor Snider tells Global News her story

Sponsored content