New Brunswick man warns of traveling after being stabbed in Bahamas
FREDERICTON – A New Brunswick man stabbed seven times while vacationing in the Bahamas in 2010, wants to warn of the dangers of travelling south.
Mitchell Nini found out Wednesday the three men accused in his near-fatal stabbing were acquitted.
It happened in the early morning hours of Christmas Day outside a nightclub. Nini was stabbed in the chest, back and abdomen after chasing down a man who had robbed his friend.
“I didn’t think twice, I was already out of the vehicle trying to stop him,” Nini said in an interview with Global News. “He had started to slow down, when a vehicle pulled up and someone got out of the back seat and pulled out a knife.”
“I had grabbed him by the shirt and I was struggling with him, on the ground, but simultaneously he was stabbing me along my body.”
His friends drove him to a hospital where he needed six litres of blood and several surgeries. While he could recall a gold Nissan Maxima, he couldn’t remember the face of the man who stabbed him.
The three accused were found not guilty by a jury 6-3.
Now Nini wants to remind people of the dangers of going south, specifically to the Bahamas.
“Anyone who goes there isn’t immune to the crime there,” he said. “Whether you feel like you’re safe on the resort, as soon as you step off the resort you’re in a war zone.”
Last month, Edgar George Dart, a 56-year-old British citizen who lived in Manitoba, was shot and killed when three masked intruders burst into his family’s home in Nassau, Bahamas.
Right now, the Government of Canada doesn’t have any advisories when travelling to the Bahamas, only that tourists have been the targets of robberies, and not to carry large sums of cash or wear expensive jewellery.