Advertisement

Fire destroys Kelowna business

UPDATE: The fire is now out and no injuries have reported. There is no estimate at this time but damage is extensive.

KELOWNA, BC — Black smoke began billowing skyward from White Stag Auto Body just before 9 a.m. Thursday morning in Kelowna following a fire that reportedly started in a paint booth.

Employees of the Brant Avenue business, off Gordon Drive in Kelowna’s north end industrial area, were evacuated from the building as the toxic smoke filled the air.

About a dozen people from a nearby condo complex were also evacuated as a precaution but have since been allowed back in their homes.

The Kelowna Fire Department is on scene and has called in the hazardous materials crew to help deal with the blaze.

There are no initial reports of injuries.

Story continues below advertisement
Kelowna RCMP have traffic in a large area of Gordon and Clement blocked off while emergency crews do their work.
Courtesy: Carl Surowiec.
Courtesy: Carl Surowiec.
Courtesy: Carl Surowiec.
Courtesy: Carl Surowiec.
Courtesy: Carl Surowiec.
Courtesy: Carl Surowiec.